Friday, November 13, 2015

Rising Above: Abstract Notions







So another day comes and another day goes, but TODAY I learned how to play "Piano Man" on the harmonica. However, that is beside the point.

While I crawled into bed this evening, I grabbed my laptop and opened a new webpage. As is customary, I enjoy some music while I attempt to fall asleep with my ADD brain buzzing; and again starts the endless cycle of staying up worrying about falling asleep. Anyhoo, I opened this new tab and went to youtube to find some music. Like usual, while waiting for my video to load, a commercial appeared of which I was forced to watch at least about fifteen seconds. The commercial was about some concert to be held somewhere to unite people because of the terrible racial tensions in our country. I rolled my eyes and hit "skip ad" in hopes to get to a Simon and Garfunkel song eventually. Then I opened a word document.

I get it. As people, we want equality and justice. For the first time, I today watched the videos of Missouri University students and Yale students get involved in emotion-driven conversation (if it can be called such) over these issues; one girl in one video even blurted, "Humanity!" in defense of her and her fellow students' actions.

Equality. Justice. Humanity. What do these words even mean? I am pretty sure even Noah Webster would not understand these protesters based on their word choice.

Click below to see the article with both of these videos attached. The South Park bit at the very end is funny too:

For instance, what does  equality mean? According to merriam-webster, equality is: the quality or state of being equal. This begs the question, what does equal mean? Equal: like for each member of a group, class, or society. Sounds fair, right? Equality is not this grandiose, abstract notion that any sort of special minority or group, according to differently constructed definitions, will always fight for but never receive. Gay marriage, anyone? At the time, that "socially constructed definition" of equality meant the ability to be recognized as married under the law. Well, they got that, but now you have to bake their cakes too. And if that does not make them happy, sensitivity training may be in your future.

These demands to not fall under equality as defined by Webster. What people are often asking for is those who disagree with them to not only tolerate them, but celebrate them. I never did understand this. I classify myself as a conservative. I am not going to be offended if my liberal friends do not celebrate my values! Is this not simple logic? 

Perhaps an attitude of gratefulness would do a lot for this country. I mean really, what does Christie Brinkly have that I don't have? Long legs, clear skin, nice teeth, lots of money... I am not equal to Christie Brinkley. But if I really wanted to be more like her, I could:
  • Actually work out to make my short legs look longer
  • Wash my face a million times a day
  • Use super expensive whitening products
  • Get a really good paying job based solely on my newly-found looks
The same opportunity for me to be a world-renowned model exists for me as it does for does for anyone. However, the potential to do well in a "lucrative" career such as modeling varies. If I do not posses the qualities that the general modeling industry is seeking, then that is the fault of my genetics, not the fault of the industry for having the standards it does.

I am grateful for my healthy, short, body. I am aware that if we all looked like Brinkley, then by no means would she be considered pretty. 'Cuz like Syndrome from the Incredibles says:


We are trying to create a utopia, which is kinda crazy because according to the definition of utopia, it can't be done. But, politics aside, there is one thing has really been bothering me today that follows the same logic:
Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment