Thursday, June 14, 2012

Life Lessons

"Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream." You may recognize the opening words to John Steinbeck's famous novel Cannery Row. You may not. Cannery row is raw human nature exposed perhaps. I am reading the book for a college English class and am trying to form some original opinions about it.-- This was two months ago. I have finished the book and the paper and the presentation. The presentation along with the presentations of my fellow students will be published in a book my professor is composing. My final position paper's theme was the inherent evil of mankind--a dark paper but a fun one. After reading my VERY ruff draft my teacher commented, with a laugh, he needed to go home and watch a happy movie. He loved my comparison of Cannery Row to the classics. Now school is over. I am working this summer at a local vet office--walking dogs, etc. My goals this summer are to resume dog training, get back into shape, pratice piano, write and decide upon a major :P. I work nearly forty hours a week some weeks so it is difficult the balance the things I need to do and want to do. I have not sat down and written only to write in a long while. College papers had satisfied my thirst for writing. I have come to realize I have many thirsts, many desires to excel in unrelated areas of life. Which one should I choose to fulfill as a career? As a young teenager I trained Border Collie for frisbee freestyle and distance competitions. I gave up though when she became aggressive towards other dogs and lost focus. I have been around many border collies and Fly is one of the most intense and one the the fastest I have seen. I am planning on taking her to a trainer for a one on one season to see what advice she gives. For right now I am slightly bed-ridden. I had my gallbladder removed two days ago. I am working on a short story with some help from my best friend. We share a blog titled "The Chronicles of Insanity" and must say some of our stories are nearly embarrassing. XD It is so much fun being at this stage in life- done with my first year of college, off for the summer, home with the best family ever. Yet it is unsettling to not have a goal in life. I was always told it is all right to go into college with an undecided major. I realize it would have been better to pick something, anything, and have changed my major later I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment